Welcome Note

Hearty Welcome to my writing endeavor. All I need is your support.

How People Protected Themselves In The Earlier Days


Pandemics aren't new. Every century has been hit by and forth by a deadly pandemic. The earlier pandemics that struck us were cholera, dysentery, diarrhoea, plague, Spanish flu, and swine flu. Initially, people got themselves treated with home remedies. Gradually scientific studies would eventually lead to the cure of the disease.

As a kid, I remember what often made me curious. The Plague Suit invoked many questions. Were these eagles with huge limbs? Were they some animals? Are they wicked? In the days when I was a kid, the Internet used to be some sort of luxury. Rather, electronic gadgets were seen as waste. So, I had no friend like Google. I asked the elders of my house. Nobody had clues about it. And guess what, I had to wait until I was a teenager. Behold, I got my answer after I typed out some funny keywords. I researched more on it. The surprising thing that I came to know is that they kept herbs in those beak-shaped masks. The herbs contained medicinal values. It helped the doctors to inhale the purified air. The Plague Suit protected the doctors from any contact with the atmosphere around. The plague doctors also carried a stick. It contained those medicinal herbs. They used to stir the soup of the patients with the stick. It helped them in their recovery. In this Corona time, we are seeing the PPE kits. Which somewhat resemble the Plague suit. Quarantining is not new. It is an old concept. Whenever somebody dies in the house, people quarantine themselves for fourteen days. This has been followed for ages. Our ancestors did this so that they keep themselves and their surroundings safe from any infection. Since it may be possible that the person died of some undetected harmful disease. 

People for the sake of looking modern had suddenly started mocking these rituals until Corona knocked on their doors. Anybody who is getting infected with it is asked to quarantine himself/herself. They can either opt for self-isolation. This procedure needs to be followed for a minimum of fourteen days. 

Our ancestors focused on washing hands and feet once they returned home. People had been neglecting these things from the beginning of this decade unless the advent of Corona. People are now advising one other to wash hands and feet once they get back to their homes. What made me happy was that people have started caring for each other. Be it, for their own safety or something else but yes this is something positive.

What seems like a new normal already existed for ages. It's just that people had neglected it for a while and as a result, they are facing consequences.

Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment